Monday, September 28, 2009

BIG yardsale in Albany

For all my friends and relatives in southwest GA.....

Thanks First Baptist Church for the Fellowship Charity Fundraiser! The pastor grilled steaks, then the fixin's and meat were sold as the charity event. The event was very successful... I appreciate my home church and their caring and very generous spirit!!!! The efforts of the pastor, head deacon, and many others humble my family with the very generous amount raised.

OK, now get ready

Another well planned and abundantly supplied fund raiser! Sister Cathy and husband Roger (who retired 8/30 with 30 years in at P&G, only to go to work full time on this all month!) along with my other brothers and sisters are having a huge, huge yard sale. There have been so many items donated that this will last Friday Oct 2nd and Saturday, Oct 3rd. 7am to 2pm each day (rain cancels event only on a really rainy day)

Also, so many more items (really good ones) could not be displayed for lack of room that there will be another yard sale the first weekend of December. Maybe even into January for a third one?!? More details on that later.

Even if you don't do yard sales, come by anyway! There will be coffee and cakes, pies, cookies, brownies... all home made and priced right just for this event. Plus this is going to be the happ-nin place on Saturday morning. Come and meet up with your friends and support a good cause!

Why are there so many fund raisers?


Several weeks after Molly's SCI (spinal cord injury) a couple from our church, Bob and Doreen Blair, asked if they could help us. They have been with us most every step since. Bob has helped me make the hard decisions, told me where and when to get active or tough and offering to arrange help and bodies to do the work. ....How do they know what to do? Doreen suffered a SCI 8 years ago.

One of the things that Bob told me on the first visit was, "I don't care how big your bank account is, you are probably going to go broke... and in the future it will not be hard to prove you are indigent." Bob has been right with every other thing he has told us, didn't matter if I agreed with him or not, but lets hope that he is wrong here.

I have been reminded that I do not have the legal obligation to pay for anything involving Molly, but the moral obligation to sustain my family. That includes the expenses of Molly and the two boys.

Julie has had to give up her life work and passion (interior design)to care for Molly. She hopes that she will again do it full time. Yet, we still have all our regular expenses AND all the new ones involving Molly and the boys. Medicaid does cover major items, but there is so much more!!! I now maintain 3 different jobs that bring in money. Yea, 3 jobs, 7 days a week. Still schedule church in on Sunday.

Molly's expenses have been more than an average man my age will make in a lifetime. We go to "clinics" instead of Dr's offices. Only the essential items are bought. Didn't renew the newspaper, etc... Friends still bring meals (thank God!) several times a week.
I'm not saying we're ready to go to the poor house nor are we going to fall off the face of the earth tomorrow. I am merely telling YOU, our friends, why there is an ongoing need to raise money. Thanks to family and friends I have not had to organize any of these. Please hear my heart when I tell you this money is not in any way for pleasure!!!

So....hows Molly?

She told me that she does not consider herself a permanent quadriplegic. We can actually use the word now. There is "a knowing" in her that she will get better; this is only temporary. Temporary could be years she said, but in her heart she feels that God has assured her that this is not permanent. And she hopes that God does not see fit that years is plural at all. She also stated that God may want to do other things and she accepts that, just does not want it. Its OK not to want it.

Physically, all the emergencies are mostly over. Small things pop up daily such as pressure point sores. The daily routine is grinding, but there is comfort in a routine.

Mentally she is getting it right; most of the time. Julie and I still struggle a lot.
She is getting stronger and can help ever so slightly when I lift her into the car or move her from the bed to her chair. Both Julie and I are getting it better now also. She now laughs sometimes when I muss her freshly combed hair during the lift.

Thank you for all your prayers! We believe in the power of prayer and in faith. Even as small as a mustard seed.

Love ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment